June 13, 2011
Mercer Announces Pioneer Football League Conferencee Affiliation.
January 20, 2011
Bobby Lamb is introduced as Mercer’s 19th head football coach.
November 19, 2010
Mercer announces that its Board of Trustees has voted to reinstate football as an NCAA Division I nonscholarship
intercollegiate sport beginning with the 2013 season, and announces that it is seeking membership
in the Pioneer Football League.
A Football Task Force composed of Mercer trustees, faculty, staff and Mercer Athletic Foundation members is
appointed by President Underwood. The task force holds several meetings throughout the year to study the
feasibility of resuming competition in intercollegiate football.
President Underwood holds a series of campus forums to receive input form students, faculty and staff about the
prospect of resuming competition in intercollegiate football.
After a decision is made to disband football following the 1941 season, Mercer plays its final game: a
40-13 loss to Chattanooga.
Mercer scores its largest margin of victory with a 77-0 win over Georgia Teachers College.
A crowd of 8,340 at Porter Stadium shells out between $1.10 - $2.25 each for a Homecoming Day
game ticket to see Georgia narrowly edge Mercer, 13-12, in what was regarded as one of the most
thrilling games played in the Bears-Bulldogs rivalry.
The new Centennial Stadium, built at a cost of $100,000 and later called Porter Stadium, is dedicated.
The stadium was located on the property now occupied by the Hilton Garden Inn near the main
Mercer ties Florida, 0-0, to shut out the Gators for the fifth time in as many meetings between the
Mercer hires its first “paid” football coach: E.E. Tarr
Mercer plays its first-ever football game versus the University of Georgia in January of 1892. It is the
first-ever football game in the state of Georgia, as well as one of the first to be played in the Deep
South. In the Fall of 1892, Mercer takes on Georgia Tech in the first-ever game of the Yellow Jackets’
storied football history and defeats Tech, 12-6, at Macon’s Central City Park.